Why Amazon Restricts Dietary Supplements Category?
Amazon restricts the dietary supplements category to prioritize the safety and reliability of products sold on its platform. Therefore, sellers must first get approval to sell dietary supplements on Amazon. These restrictions are essential for the following reasons:
- Safety: Dietary supplements can significantly impact consumers’ health, making it crucial to prevent the sale of potentially harmful or incorrectly labeled products that may endanger customers.
- Regulatory Compliance: The category is subject to strict government regulations, including labeling requirements and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) adherence. Gating ensures sellers comply with these regulations to protect consumers from non-compliant products.
- Product Authenticity: To counteract counterfeit products and unauthorized sellers, gating allows Amazon to verify the authenticity of dietary supplements, ensuring only legitimate sellers with authorized products gain access.
Preventing Misinformation: Gating allows Amazon to scrutinize product listings and prevent sellers from making false or misleading health claims about their supplements.
Requirements to Start Selling Dietary Supplements on Amazon?
Getting ungated to sell dietary supplements on Amazon requires sellers to meet specific requirements and provide the necessary documentation to prove eligibility. Here are the requirements to get ungated dietary supplements on Amazon:
- Invoice Requirements: Your invoice must be dated within 180 days of application submission. It must include your name and address (matching the one provided in your Amazon seller account), the name and address of the manufacturer or distributor, and show the combined purchase of at least ten units.
- Product Photo Requirements: The product photos must clearly show the manufacturer’s name, include the product/trademark/model number, and display all sides of the product or its packaging. The photos must also be live, not stock photos.
- Additional Documents: You will need an FDA registration screenshot, a GMP certificate, a COA (Certificate of Analysis), or a 510(K) Premarket notification.
Amazon also has requirements for the product’s packaging, labeling, detail page, and ingredients. You can read more about this on the Amazon website, but here is an overview of the requirements:
- Packaging: Supplements must be sealed in the original manufacturer’s packaging and be new and unused. The packaging must display identifying codes, such as matrix, lot, or serial numbers.
- Labeling: Supplements must be labeled in English and include the name of the dietary supplement, the total quantity (e.g., 100 tablets, 5 mg, and so on), the ingredient list, and the name and address of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor.
- Detail Page: Detail pages must include the supplement’s name and ingredient list, and it must not state that the product cures, mitigates, treats, or prevents disease in humans unless FDA approves the statement.
- Products & Ingredients: Supplements must not contain ingredients prohibited by the FBA, be identified as misbranded, or present the risk of injury or illness.
If the requirements are too much or the process seems too much of a hassle, you can always use Amazon ungating service.
How to Get Ungated in Dietary Supplements Category on Amazon?
Getting ungated on Amazon can seem challenging due to regulatory compliance and safety concerns, and the verification process may need to be clarified for some sellers. However, if you do everything right, you will likely get ungated. Here are the steps to get approved to sell dietary supplements on Amazon:
1) Create a Professional Seller Account
First, you must go to Amazon Seller Central and open a professional account. This account requires a monthly subscription fee. However, it allows you to sell as many products as you want and provides access to additional selling features like applying for selling in gated categories.
2) Apply for Category Ungating
When you want to list a dietary supplement or for ungating Amazon, you will be asked to apply for selling in this category. You can click on the “Apply to Sell” button to begin getting ungated. On the next page, you must provide some documents, including COA, a valid cGMP certificate, a qualified invoice, and product photos.
3) Submit an Invoice from Manufacturer or Authorized Distributor
Provide a valid copy of your invoice. The invoice must be less than 180 days old and depict that you have purchased more than ten units. Your name and address on the invoice should match the ones in your Amazon seller account.
4) Upload Product Photos
You must provide photos showcasing the product and its packaging from every angle. The photos must be original and unedited.
5) Create a Product Listing
You can list your product after you get approved to sell dietary supplements on Amazon. Before creating the listing, read Amazon’s guidelines about product detail page requirements for dietary supplements and abide by the rules.
How Long Does It Take to Get Approved to Sell Dietary Supplements?
The time it takes to get approved to sell dietary supplements on Amazon can vary depending on seller account performance, completeness of the application, and category demand. However, the process typically ranges from a few days to several weeks. While waiting for approval, try to be patient and monitor your email regularly for any updates or requests from Amazon. If you don’t get approved, don’t worry! You can always sell ungated categories on Amazon.
Getting approved to sell dietary supplements on Amazon can be pretty challenging. However, with the knowledge gained from this guide, sellers can navigate the process successfully.
Amazon’s strict regulations are in place to protect consumers, and sellers must comply with FDA regulations, use reputable suppliers, and build a strong seller account. Patience, persistence, and proactive responsiveness to Amazon’s requests are crucial during the approval process. Selling authentic and compliant products while staying informed about the industry and Amazon’s policies will lead to success in the dietary supplements category.