The harsh reality is that a majority of the most profitable categories and brands are gated for new sellers.
What Does It Mean to Be Ungated on Amazon?
Amazon sellers have developed their own lingo over the years. A gated category refers to one of the many restricted categories on the website, and being ungated simply means you’ve become approved to sell in one of those categories.
For a lot of people, they’re quickly discouraged when they discover a product they want to sell is restricted. Many sellers believe that the Amazon ungating process is long and complicated, so they avoid it. However, in many cases the process is surprisingly easy. You’ll likely find that even the most difficult categories aren’t impossible to get approved for, they just require a little more work.
So, if you find a product in an Amazon restricted category that you’d like to sell, don’t write it off so quickly. It’s possible the process is easier than you think. If you are one of the OABeans subscribes, you can easily contact our experts to get free ungating consultation.
What Are the Advantages of Getting Ungated on Amazon?
There will be less competition in the gated categories and therefore more opportunities for sourcing great deals. It also means you will avoid any new rules and regulations as Amazon continues to make things more difficult.
In gated categories, you tend to get more experienced sellers. This means there will be less inexperienced penny pinchers constantly undercutting prices in a race to the bottom. Amazon sellers usually find their ROI (return on investment) is much higher once they are selling in gated categories.
If you subscribe to Fayot Leads List you will get 5 to 7 fresh daily leads that are 100% ungated.
How to Get Ungated in Restricted Categories
Although there is no one-size-fits-all approach to getting ungated (different categories can call for different approaches), there are similarities you can use when applying.
1-Get a professional selling account:
If you are on the free plan, you will need to upgrade to a Professional plan.
In addition to letting you sell in restricted categories, getting this plan will actually save you money over the long term.
2-Meet amazon’s account health standards:
In addition to becoming a Professional Seller, Amazon wants you to keep your account in good standing.
Make sure your defect rates, late shipment rates and pre-fulfillment cancel rates are low as possible. Ideally, an approved seller is on par or better than the following metrics:
- < 1 % = Order Defect Rate (ODR)
- < 4 % = Late Shipment Rate (LSR)
- < 2.5 % = Pre-Fulfillment Cancel Rate (PFCR)
3-Open an account with a wholesaler
Before getting accepted as a seller of a restricted item, you need to have an account with a trusted distributor that’s already selling products in that category. So, you need to find a wholesaler you want to work with. When signing up for an account, make sure to use the same mailing address and email address that’s listed on your Amazon account.
4-Provide original invoices from the wholesaler or distributor.
You need to provide an invoice from the wholesaler along with your application. Invoices should be correctly addressed to your Seller Account name and registered address and dated within the last 90 days. Our recommendation is to use very recent invoices. The invoices must not be doctored or altered in any way.
5-Submit your application
Submit your application on Seller Central Dashboard.
Once You Get Your Response
If successful, congratulations! And time to start making listings so you can sell items.
If unsuccessful, that’s alright. You’ll get a reason for the rejection, which should serve as a guideline for the improvements you need to make before re-applying. Some of the most common reasons include getting your metrics into better shape so you can prove you’re a quality seller.
How to Apply to Get Ungated on Amazon
Take these steps to see if you need Amazon approval to sell a product.
1. You must be logged in to your Seller Central Account.
2. In the main dashboard click on the Inventory tab.
3. Select ‘Add a product‘ from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter the ASIN or UPC for the product you want to list.
5. If there are restrictions it should say ‘Listing Limitations Apply‘. Click on this to see more details.
6. You can now click on ‘Apply to Sell‘ to begin the ungating process. Some applications may be auto-approved depending on how old your seller account is.
15 Top Tips for Getting Ungated on Amazon!
- Use a proper wholesaler and not a cash and carry, clearance or liquidation site.
- Look at getting ungated as a totally separate process to selling in a gated category. Getting ungated is essentially a tick box exercise so make sure you tick all the boxes.
- Don’t use your Private Label products for the ungating application – use local wholesalers instead. Once ungated you can then sell your Private Label product in that category.
- Always ensure your chosen wholesaler’s product has a matching ASIN on Amazon available to purchase.
- Always ensure your chosen ungating ASINs are categorized correctly just for the restricted category you are trying to ungate. Make sure they don’t also appear in a non-gated category or your application is more likely to fail.
- Choose products for the ungating process that you can either use at home, easily sell on eBay or quickly sell on Amazon. You are not trying to make a profit on these items. The items you buy for ungating do not need to be sent in and sold on Amazon.
- Find a wholesaler with a range of products that will allow you to ungate more than one restricted Amazon category so you can save on delivery charges.
- Don’t try and do it ‘on the cheap’ – do it properly to give yourself the best chance of success. The benefits of getting Amazon category approval are huge so it is worth doing it right.
- Make it as easy as possible for the Amazon representative rather than as easy as possible for you! Make your application fantastic and give them every reason to say yes!
- Ensure your invoices are dated within 90 days and ideally even more recent.
- Do not use handwritten invoices and make sure the details match the exact name and address on your Seller Account.
- Buy enough products to satisfy the requirements for your chosen category. If anything you should get more than required.
- Once you’ve found your wholesaler, contact Amazon and check they are accepted for ungating before you buy any products. Amazon won’t give you a list of wholesalers to use, but they will usually say YES or NO to a particular wholesaler if asked.
- Getting ungated can be a game changer for your business and the process can be either super easy, really challenging or anything in between. It can take multiple attempts so don’t give up and just keep jumping through whatever hoops Amazon puts in your way…
- Check subcategories every month by going to ‘Inventory>Add a Product’ then entering the title or an ASIN from that category. As your seller account gets more established you might find you can get more subcategories auto-approved.
We wish you every success in getting yourself ungated and unlocking the possibilities available to Amazon Sellers.